The list below sums up continuing sectarian violence nationwide for Friday, August 16. I have started to collect images separately in a dedicated gallery. This is an ongoing work, so please ping us on Twitter (myself or @moftasa) or leave a comment below to let me know if I have missed something or if I need to fix anything below.
The following churches have being damaged to various extents earlier in the afternoon of August 16:
- Fayyoum: Al-Amir/Prince Tadros (Saint-Theodore)
- Helwan, Hadayek: Saint-George Church burnt (sources 1 and 2 (En), source (Ar), photo)
- Minya (Malawi): the Evangelical Church was burnt, and the Catholic Church was badly damaged. Christians with relatives in the nearby villages are leaving (info via @basildabh). Apparently, no security forces are present in the area to protect Christians from the attacks of “thugs” (video from Father Joseph calling on the military to intervene and protect the people)
/! There were reports that Muslim Brotherhood members have set up explosives in the Evangelical Church. These reports could NOT be verified.
- Suez: the Bon Pasteur (Good Shepherd) church has been attacked with Molotovs and bricks (Youm7 (Ar), accident reported around 3-3:30pm). This is the second time this church is attacked in the last three days (first attack on Aug 14).
Christian Schools and Other Institutions- Cairo (Daher): the Franciscan Sisters School originally built in 1875 (source, photo)
- Minya: the Soldiers of Christ orphanage at Palace Sq. (source, photo)
Homes and Businesses- Minya: houses and shops burnt (source, En; photo)
Unconfirmed so far:- claimed attack on a church in Kafr el-Sheikh
- the Soldiers of Christ orphanage in Minya was burnt (photos 1 and 2), but it is yet unclear whether the attack happened on Aug 14 or Aug 16. If you have any info, thanks for letting me know.
Attacks on August 17:
- Cairo: church at Boulaq Al-Dakrour is on fire (source)
Reported CasualtiesFrom August 14:
- Iskandar Tos, 60 (source, Ar)
- Ramy Zakaria (source, Ar)
- Mina Rafat Aziz (source — En, graphic; video; sources 2 and 3)
Injured: Abanoub, 14 (Beni Maza, Minya) source (Watani International reports him as 12-yo)
From August 16:
Maspero Youth Union published a wrap-up on its Facebook page, here is an excerpt (and for Facebook-less people, here’s the full statement):
Maspero Youth Union updated report on the latest Attacks on churches and Copts by Muslim brotherhood and supporters of the ousted president Mohamed Morsi (14th to 16th of August 2013).A comprehensive summary including statements from public figures and list of deaths with professions and locations is also available on Watani International (En) website.
outcome of the attack of Muslim brotherhood gangs on Coptic Christians in Egypt:
38 Churches completely destroyed, burned and looted
23 Churches attacked and partially damaged
In Addition to the following:
- 58 houses owned by Copts in different burned and looted
- 85 shops owned by Copts
- 16 pharmacies
- 3 hotels (Horus, Susana & Akhnaton)
- 75 cars, buses owned by churches
-6 people killed based on their religious Christian Identity
-7 Coptic people kidnapped in upper Egypt governorates